Friday, March 15, 2013

This I Believe

Welp, I obviously don't blog much these days.  If anything, I see this as an appropriate final post. 

In the mid 20th Century, public radio hosted a weekly program titled “This, I Believe” which provided men and women from all walks of life the opportunity to share their personal beliefs. While the subject matter varied with each individual, the results often brought people together and provided a unique perspective of their common humanity. If you will indulge me, I would like to share a short “This I Believe” statement with you.

“This I Believe”

1 – I believe in the divinity within humanity. As a son or daughter of God, everyone around us has immeasurable worth and infinite potential.  We are His greatest miracle.

2 – I believe that each of us is responsible to be an agent of positive change, by helping those around us gain a deeper understanding of their worth and potential.

3 – I believe in kindness. It leads to peace, loving relationships, and a conscience that is free of negativity and remorse. It is the beginning steps of maturity and the anchor roots of leadership.  “The most clear indicator that we are progressing spiritually and coming unto Christ is the way we treat other people. “ - Elder Marvin J Ashton.  

4 – I believe in change – thank goodness for it!  Where would we be without it?  Dwelling on the things of the past simply keeps us from changing future behavior. If there are things in our life that need to be changed, why not begin them now?  If God is really in the heavens, we are truly his children, and his plan is for us to ultimately become like him . . . then we probably ought to get going. 

5 – I believe in grit.   Grit is the perseverance and passion for long-term goals.  There is a power that comes with the knowledge that you can accomplish anything you set your mind to.   Whenever your back is up against the wall . . . FIGHT.  Never, never, never give up.

6 – I believe in integrity.  The world will tell you what you should or shouldn’t be.   Take a courageous stand for values and morals.  If you don’t stand for something you will fall for anything.

7 – I believe in humor. We at times take ourselves too seriously. Couldn’t we all use a good laugh daily?  Every person should know at least three really good jokes and share them when appropriate (and sometimes when it isn’t).  Fun and quirky movie/TV quotes also help.

8 – I believe in undaunted curiosity.   Life is too short to look backward.  We must keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things.  If we are brave enough to look towards the unknown with fearless excitement, we can be lead down miraculous paths we could have never imagined.

9 – I believe everyone has struggles and pain that others may not know about. It is safe to assume that each person around us has tender spots, spiritual bruises, and social aches that we don’t know of or understand. Because of this, we should be a little more gentle, a little more patient, a little more forgiving, and a little slower to judge those around us.


10 – I believe that what really matters in this life is our relationships with our family, friends, and Heavenly Father.   No one can get through this life alone.  The power of belonging and shared experience is where ultimate joy is found.